Bits&Pieces: Goals inspired by 2015

I know that we're already 3 weeks in to 2015, but I thought I'd share a few goals I've set for myself. With the first three weeks of 2015 already feeling like a battle, I'm establishing February 1st as the true "New Years" day for me. The battle of "The First Three Weeks of 2015" shall end.

I've always resisted making a list of resolutions for the New Year. As much as I'd like to believe that I'm a goal-oriented person, I'm surely not. I'm a "take things day-by-day" type of person. Fortunately, my discipline and hard work are results of being absolutely inspired by everything and every person around me, and when I want something, I need to have it, be it, or do it. Mind you. I'm not hiding behind the word "inspired" to cover up for the word "jealousy." Truly, being inspired is what's motivated me to become more of who I am because I've discovered new territory in my life that other's have found in their own. 


These days I'm inspired by the people who are closest to me whom I can hug, kiss, and hold hands with while praying. I'm inspired by the day-to-day experiences with these people. My people. So no. Not even a bougie Instagram photo of a fun warehouse party will make me think twice of being jealous of the person taking the photo. I have everything and everyone I need right where I am.

These goals I've set for myself are inspired by the people I get to do life with. These people are the first 10 people at the top of my iMessages app (yes, it's that serious). Most of these goals are for leisure's sake and habits I'd like to carry on throughout my life as a wife, someday mother, friend, sister, and daughter.


So, let's begin!
  1. TRUE SABBATH: Making intentional time to REST and rest well. This means, turning off the TV and my phone. And doing something that gives me life like going for a run, reading a book (that's not for school), or playing a board game with Lane. I've talked with Lane about making this happen, and we've decided to Sabbath every Friday evening from 8:00PM until Saturday evening at 8:00PM. A whole 24-hour period of resting. Of course, if friends invite us over for dinner or a party, we would consider that time as resting because it gives us life. 
  2. FEEL MORE & WRITE MORE: I've noticed a lot of people, including myself, who tweet or post on some sort of social media about how they/we feel. Then, hoping someone would "Favorite" the tweet or "Like" the post so we wouldn't "feel" as alone with  how we're "feeling." It's incredible that this is a thing...As social media became more self-involved we first began liking photos of our food, our clothes, how we decorate our homes, now our feelings?! Why do we want our lives validated by people through a screen? So, I'm making it a personal goal to have a separate journal for my emotions. Yes, an Emotional journal. I feel it's easier to write about what happens during my day, but way harder to sit down and list out every emotion then write why I felt them.
  3. BECOME A CHEF: I'm not a cook. No way, no how am I patient enough to cook something that I'll devour in 20-minutes. But, all of my family and friends, including my husband, are outstanding cooks. These days, I'm a sous chef who chops the vegetables and that's the extent of my abilities. So it's a goal to return the love and hospitality and cook a meal for them. Hopefully with  a lot of trial and error cooking would become a hobby rather than a chore.
  4. HOMEY HABITATIONS: I'm generally a neat person, but when it comes to my clothes, dishes, and more clothes around the house you could peg me as a hoarder. A not-so-easy goal for 2015 is to create an environment in our home that is peaceful rather than chaotic. Taking time to choose my outfit the night before AND trying it on before bed would make the time getting ready the next morning less stressful and less messy. Lane is a Saint for letting our room look the way it does right now. His tiny little part of the closet is so neat and clean that I've become inspired
  5. HEALTHY LIVING: I love rice, coffee, bread, coffee, potatoes, coffee, and more carbs carbs carbs. And I'm not a runner and don't have any interest of going to a stinky gym. So an obvious goal is to make healthier decisions. But because this goal is easier said than done, I'm giving myself grace and taking baby steps. I've managed to drink coffee once in the morning, once a week and have replaced the endless cups of joe with water. And as far as exercise goes, well don't ask. Because remember the whole "first three weeks have been a battle"? February 1st... We got this.
  6. INVEST IN MY LIFE: Rather than suffocating myself with the guilt of shopping and wanting to dress like girls on Pinterest, I'm going to stop and reshape my thoughts before I continue to put myself down for not looking like them or being like them. I am more than the clothes I wear, the books I read, and the music I listen to. This year, I'm investing in who I am as a King's Daughter and placing my worth in the Hands of the One who created me. 
  7. DATE MY HUSBAND: This February, Lane and I will have been together for 5 years! 5 years of date nights out and date nights in. This goal will be the easiest one to accomplish, especially with Lane as my best friend and husband. He's the best person I know. 
I hope all of your 2015 goals are inspired by good things, good people, and the goodness in yourself. I'm learning day-by-day to love myself for what I can do, and not what I cannot do; who I am, and not by who I cannot be; what I have, and not by what I don't have. 

Thank you for reading all of this! Your time here on my blog is so, so sweet to me. Truly, I thank you.

Happy New Year, lovely.

Yours truly,
Jayna

1 comment:

  1. Aww these are great goals & I hope that you get to accomplish all of them! You are seriously so inspiring Jayna. I'm also with you on the healthier decisions thing because I, too, am not a runner and gyms aren't really my thing. And on top of that, Darell & I are also hitting 5 years this June! Woo :]

    ReplyDelete